Friday, March 11, 2022

Is it Enough That Your Children Know That You Are a Good Ministering Teacher


What is it that you want your children and grandchildren to know about you? I was in an Elder's Quorum meeting a few years ago, and the topic was on teaching our children, or what do we want our children to know. There was a reference to D&C 68:25, but there was no discussion or instruction concerning what D&C 68:25 commands us to teach, and no reference was made to Moses 6:57-60, or to D&C 93:40 on what we are to teach our children. 



But the idea of being a good example was discussed, and immediately I thought about what Alma wanted his three sons to know about him. Of all the things he could have told them such as being the Chief Judge and/or being the High Priest over the church, he instead recounted to them how he had murdered many of God's children, or rather how he had led them away unto destruction (Alma 36:14), and how he and the Sons of Mosiah were "the very vilest of sinners" (Mosiah 28:4). He told them of the angel who visited him and then in detail what he experienced thereafter.


He described how he was racked with the pains of a damned soul and was racked with torment and harrowed up by the memory of his many sins. He describes this as hell, and gives us a glimpse of what hell must be like for those of us who do not repent. He wanted his sons to know that he had sinned, and that he had repented of his sins and was redeemed by the Lord. He described to his sons that he had cried within his heart and said: "O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me, who am in the gall of bitterness, and am encircled about by the everlasting chains of death."  


He then described the marvelous light that he beheld and told them that his soul was filled with joy. There was, he said, nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were his pains, but on the other hand there could be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was his joy. He said: "I stood upon my feet, and did manifest unto the people that I had been born of God." 


Alma told and retold his story to his sons so that they would know that their father had rejected his Redeemer, and most importantly he wanted them to know that after his soul had been racked with eternal torment, he was "snatched" and his "soul was pained no more." He was teaching them the Gospel of Jesus Christ through his own experiences, how he had been born of God and how everyone of us "must be born of God...changed from (our) carnal and fallen state, to a state of righteousness, being redeemed of God, becoming His sons and daughters. And thus become new creatures; and unless (we) do this (we) can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God" (Mosiah 27:25-26). 


Of all the things Alma could have taught His sons about himself, he chose to teach them that: "I have repented of my sins, and have been redeemed of the Lord; behold I am born of the Spirit." 


Alma also taught his son Shiblon what our relationship should be to God and to each other. He taught him to not be lifted up in pride or to boast of his own wisdom and strength, or to think of himself as better than his brethren; "but rather say: O Lord, forgive my unworthiness, and remember (our) brethren in mercy--yea, acknowledge your unworthiness before God at all times" (Alma 38:11-14 emphasis added).


Alma's emphasis in teaching his sons was on the goodness and mercy of our Savior, not his own 'good example, and how, notwithstanding his own sins and unworthiness, he was redeemed and born again. He wanted his Sons to know that it was not because of his goodness, but because of the goodness and righteousness of our Savior that he was redeemed. He did not just teach them that he was a good High Priest, had a testimony and fulfilled his civic and church duties. I use the metaphor of being a good ministering teacher because it fits the pattern of focusing on ourselves and our duties rather than on our Savior.


If we examine our own lives and decide what to teach our children, we may dismiss Alma's account as a pattern because, we may say, his experience was different. But was it really? Or should it be? Do we need to have an angel tell us to repent and be aware of the justice of God, when we have been told over and over again by Book of Mormon prophet-writers, by our modern day prophets and apostles, and by the Lord himself? We may say that Alma's sin was more serious and does not apply to us, even though we have been told that one sin subjects us to all of God's justice. But we can't teach what we have not experienced, and that is the problem: if we have not been troubled enough by our sins to bring us down unto repentance, we cannot teach our children what Alma taught his. Instead we may focus on the fact that we may have been a good ministering teacher.


Alma used his own experience with God's justice and mercy, to teach his sons about God's justice and mercy. His own experience caused him from that time forth to labor without ceasing, "that I might bring souls unto repentance; that I might bring them to taste of the exceeding joy of which I did taste; that they might also be born of God, and be filled with the Holy Ghost."


In telling my story in The Many Lives of W. Clark Burt, I wanted my children to see me as I really am (a chief sinner); and how, through His goodness and mercy, He has redeemed me from hell and saved me from my sins. I can say that I am repenting and desire to endure in repentance and faith to the end. I can say that I have been born of the Spirit. Even though my sins continue to trouble me, I continue to repent by turning to Christ and relying wholly upon His merits (not my own) to save me. I know that through repentance and enduring to the end I will have claim upon His mercy and be found guiltless at the judgment. It is not just about my sins but also about my being carnal by nature, and about all the flaws in my character such as selfishness and impatience. 


Tom Christofferson, brother to Apostle Todd Christofferson said of his being Gay, "For me, being gay is one of the greatest blessing of my life because I came to a point where I felt I really had to know that Christ lives, that his Atonement and resurrection are realities that have impact in my life. Other people come to that knowledge in their own ways, but this caused me to seek knowledge. I am incredibly grateful for this path." I can say the same about my path and for the same reasons. It was the catalyst for me to really seek Christ and His atonement. 


I call this a 'Road to Damacus' experience which results in us, at some point in our journey on this earth, stopping in our tracks and 'hearing' the voice of God, telling us: "This is my Son  Hear ye him!"  Have you had your 'road to Damascus' experience? Have you come to experience your own lost and fallen state, and experienced the need and desire to turn (repent) to Christ and rely wholly upon His merits?


The Lord has revealed to us that to repent means to turn to Christ. The Latin root for repentance is to turn. The Greek root means to change one's mind. The Hebrew root means to return to God. We must desire and be willing to change our mind and our heart and be willing to turn to God and turn away from what we are. When we partake of the Sacrament we do witness unto God that we are wiling to take upon us His name, that we are willing to always remember Him, and that we are willing to keep His commandments!


We can see the fruits of our repentance (or turning to Him) by virtue of the changes He is making in us. He is beginning to take away our disposition to do evil, and is curing our tendency to turn away from Him. Fruits of our repentance include growing in the knowledge of Him and desiring to teach our children and others of His goodness and mercy. He will cause that our hearts be filled with joy and we will rejoice in Him. We come to know that God created us with a mind capable of instruction, and a faculty which has been enlarged in proportion to the heed and diligence given to the light communicated to us through His words. Our views become clearer and our enjoyments greater. We begin losing our desire for sin, and He is changing our hearts. We offer Him our broken heart, and He gives us a new heart. Our hope becomes in Him. It is hope because we still realize our flesh is weak and that our heart continues to desire that which is evil sometimes, but we will believe what He has revealed: that we can attain to His righteousness through putting our faith in Him and be claimed by God's mercy.


Through His atonement, mercy was introduced as the way to reclaim us from the grasp of the justice of God. Through His fruits, we now know that we need God's mercy and would not want to be judged by our works, whether they be good or evil. Our hope is that we will be found guiltless, and that we will be claimed by His mercy.


Personally. I believe all the words which he has spoken to me. I know of their surety and truth because the Spirit of God has wrought a mighty change in me, or in my heart, that my disposition to do evil is diminishing and my desire to do good (the works of Christ) is increasing.


When Lehi was teaching his son Jacob he said to him "I know that thou art redeemed, because of the righteousness of thy Redeemer..." (2 Nephi 2:3 emphasis added). It was not Jacob's righteousness which redeemed him, but the righteousness of Christ.


I know I cannot rely on my own merits and goodness. I have hurt and disappointed many, and If that had been the end of the story, then I would agree that I deserved to die in my sins and be consigned to a state of misery. But because of the goodness of God and the greatness of His Plan of Redemption, it was not the end of the story, but only the beginning of another path that led me to my Savior, to understand through His words the doctrine of repentance and faith. The walk that I have walked, and the one I want my children and others to know, is that of a sinner being redeemed, which is the walk that all of us must walk.  But it is not really my story that I want them to hear. It is the story of my Savior, of His goodness and mercy! It is His words that I want them to hear, not mine! It is His words, and when they hear them they will begin to understand the doctrine of repentance, to be troubled by their own sins, and the need and the desire to avoid the justice of God and through His words be driven into the arms of His Mercy!

 

Fortunately Alma's sons, including Corianton, did listen to what he had to say about his own repentance and about his being born again, for they then became the teachers of the gospel of repentance to their children, and to others (why) so that the great plan of mercy might have claim upon those that they taught


While still troubled, I am no longer harrowed up in my sins, but have beheld the marvelous light, and my soul has been filled with joy. I now know like Paul that "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief" (1 Timothy 1:15).


If all you want your children to know is that you were a good ministering teacher; or that you faithfully fulfilled all your callings, went to the temple regularly, had a testimony, did your family history, served a mission or multiple missions, and that you were by all accounts a good person, you will undoubtedly miss the mark, and therefore maybe cause your children to miss the mark as well. I say miss the mark in the sense that Jacob said it--the Jews were blinded by their own self righteousness, "which blindness came by looking beyond the mark" (Jacob 4:14), the mark being their Savior and His goodness and mercy, not their own. 


This scripture illustrates the difference. "And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, (Why?) that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins. We speak concerning the law (why?) that our children may know the deadness of the law, that they, by knowing the deadness of the law, may look forward unto life which is in Christ" (2 Nephi 25:26-27).


You may be part of the ninety and nine that need no repentance. But if you think that, be mindful of who Christ was speaking to and why He told them the parable of the lost sheep. It was to the Pharisees and scribes that Christ was speaking, and His reference to the ninety and nine was to those Pharisees and scribes, just persons, who thought they needed no repentance. His reference to joy in heaven over the one sinner that repenteth is contrasted with the sorrow over those who think they do not need to repent.


A brief look at D&C 68:25 and Moses 6:57-60 will help us understand not only what we are to teach our children but why it is so critical that they know we have experienced what we are asked by the Lord to teach them. Parents with children in Zion must teach their children to understand the doctrine of repentance, to understand faith in Christ, to understand the need for baptism, and to understand the gift of the Holy Ghost. Note that it is not enough to teach them about, but to understand. That is not possible if we do not understand. It is not enough to just know about, these doctrines, and we can only understand if we have experienced them! An example of this is Alma teaching his son Corianton. He could teach Corianton to understand the doctrine of repentance because he understood it, not just intellectually, but because he had experienced it!


Now look at Moses 6:57-60. Enoch has just explained that since we are all born in sin, including our children, that sin conceiveth in our hearts that we may know to taste the bitter (why?) so that we can choose the good. Because of this, and having become carnal, sensual and devilish by nature, we are agents unto ourselves with two choices--good or evil, and we cannot act for ourselves without being enticed by the one or the other. Because of this we are commanded to teach our children that all men everywhere must repent, and of course all men everywhere includes you. If you have taught your children to understand the doctrine of repentance (using the Lord's definition of repentance which is to turn to Him and rely wholly upon His merits), your children will want to know if you have and are repenting. If they understand that without repentance we cannot dwell in the presence of God, they will want to know where you will be. 


He gets more specific when he says: "Teach these things freely unto your children, saying: That by reason of transgression cometh the fall, which fall bringeth death, and inasmuch as ye were born into the world by water, and blood, and the spirit, which I have made, and so became of dust a living soul, even so ye (you) must be born again into the kingdom of heaven, of water, and of the Spirit, and be cleansed by blood, even the blood of mine Only Begotten; that ye (you) might be sanctified from all sin, and enjoy the words of eternal life in this world, and eternal life in the world to come, even immortal glory." 


Teaching 'about' being born again is not the same as actually being born again, and what better example can you be to your children and grandchildren than the "example of a believer (in Christ), in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity" (1 Timothy 4:12). If you be a good minister of Jesus Christ, you shall be "nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou has attained" (2 Timothy 4:6). "Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine, continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee" (2 Timothy 4:16).

1 comment:

  1. Well, one thing is certain, I can't wait to read the book, The Many Lives of W. Clark Burt!

    Chapter 1: The Pre-Accountability Years
    Chapter 2: The Early Years, Becoming a Sinner
    Chapter 3: The Middle Years, Recognizing I'm a Sinner
    Chapter 4: The Mature Years, Recognizing Christ Redeems Sinners
    Chapter 5: The Sweetest Years, Knowing Christ Has Redeemed Me

    Thanks for teaching me that Alma taught his sons to follow Christ's example, not his. That is the good news!

    ReplyDelete