Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Repentance: Why We Are to Say Nothing But Repentance

These posts on Repentance are intended to be read in order from the beginning: 


Repentance: Introduction


At the bottom of each post is a link to the next one. 


This post could also be subtitled Why Saying Nothing But Repentance is the Fruit of Our Repentance. It seems, however, that presently in the church we say nothing but conference talks to this generation. I decided once to reply to an email I received from the church and asked "Why do we settle for conference talks, when we have the word of God? His words are the standard by which all and everyone is judged. If the word of God is taught at a general conference we should listen. If not, we can discard it. It is the message and not the messenger. Why are we forced to use these talks in Sacrament meetings and Priesthood and Relief Society meetings? The Lord has told us to not speak in tenets, and yet we create new ones which pass when the President of the Church dies. We should be nourished by the word of God as Moroni said, and not by a watered down version which does not nourish.” 





I did receive a response referring me to my local leader “for more information.” It concerns me that while some speakers in general conference talk of repentance, we hear so much more about remaining active, following the prophet, receiving comfort from our Savior, etc. Just take a look at some of the titles of the talks in the October 2023 General Conference: “In the Path of Their Duty,” “For the Sake of Your Posterity,” “Abide the Day in Christ,” “The sealing Power,” “Love thy Neighbour,” “Kingdoms of Glory,” “Tithing: Opening the Windows of Heaven,” “The Power of Jesus Christ in Our Lives Every Day,” “Do You Want to Be Happy?” “Walking in Covenant Relationship with Christ,” just to name a few. I did hear the word of God spoken in the Conference and Elder Uchtdorf’s talk “The Prodigal and the Road That Leads Home” filled me with joy. And Elder Rasband’s “How Great Will Be Your Joy” could have hit the mark, but turned into a talk about needing senior missionaries. 


As I say later, not everyone is called to say nothing but repentance unto this generation, and some general conference talks can be the means of bringing others to the word of God where they can find their way to Christ, but to rely mainly on conference talks will not “carry us beyond this vale of sorrow into a far better land of promise” (Alma 37:45). Only the words of Christ will. 


I did, however, find fifteen (15) references to repentance in the talks, some of which were very good, but then were modified where His words were transfigured by the traditional understanding of repentance. There was not one talk entitled “Say Nothing But Repentance” nor one talk just about repentance. And the sad thing is that these talks will become the learning curriculum in the Church for the next six (6) months. The ‘covenant path’ has replaced the Iron Rod leading to the Tree of Life and the “strait and narrow path” which leads to eternal life. Only “continually holding fast” to the word of God gets us to the Tree of Life, and only the word of God keeps us in the “strait and narrow” path. 


So let’s see why the Lord has commanded us to say nothing but repentance to this generation, especially our own. See what happens to generations when we do not.  “Drunk With the Wine of Self Deception.”


To say nothing but repentance is a calling given to those who desire to “reap while the day lasts, that he may treasure up for his soul everlasting salvation in the Kingdom of God” (D&C 6:3 & 11:3 emphasis added). “Yea, whosoever will thrust in his sickle and reap, the same is called of God” (D&C 6:4 & 11:4 emphasis added). And what are those of us who have desired to thrust in our sickle and reap, called of God to do? 


“Seek to bring forth and establish the cause of Zion” (D&C 11:6).


“Seek not for riches but for wisdom” (D&C 11:7).


“Even as you desire of me so it shall be done unto you” (D&C 11:8).


Say nothing but repentance unto this generation” (D&C 11:9 emphasis added).


“Seek not to declare my word, but first seek to obtain my word, and then shall your tongue be loosed; and then, if you desire, you shall have my Spirit and my word, yea, the power of God unto the convincing of men” (D&C 11:21 emphasis added). Speaking with the power of God requires having the Spirit of Revelation and the Spirit of Prophecy.


I don’t think that all are called to say nothing but repentance unto this generation, but those who really desire to, are called of God. See my own experience.


Helping to understand why we are to say nothing but repentance unto this generation requires an understanding of the mercy of God and His gospel, experiencing God’s mercy in our own lives, experiencing Godly Sorrow, always repenting and being born again, and a measure of the love of God found  in us. I like the way Alma charges his son Corianton to teach the word of God. He says: “And now, O my son, ye are called of God to preach the word unto this people. And now, my son, go thy way, declare the word with truth and soberness (why?), that thou mayest bring souls unto repentance (why?), that the great plan of mercy may have claim upon them. And my God grant unto you, even according to my words. Amen” (Alma 42:31 emphasis added).


Q. Why declare the word of God with truth and soberness? 


A. To bring souls unto repentance.


Q. And why bring souls unto repentance? 


A. That the great plan of mercy may have claim upon them!


Again there are several examples in the Book of Mormon where those who were repenting and had been born again, showed the fruit of their repentance by spending the rest of their lives teaching the word of God to bring souls to repentance and to the mercy of God. 


I will concentrate mainly on the A-Listers: Alma Sr, Alma Jr, Amulek, Ammon and Aaron, and by reference Ammon and Aaron’s brothers Omner and Himni, and sons of Alma Jr, grandsons to Alma Sr. Helaman, Shiblon and Corianton. It is critical to mention the fact that both Mosiah, and Alma Sr believed the words of God delivered by angels to Abinadi (Alma Sr) and King Benjamin, father of Mosiah. We will get to Amulek’s story in a bit, but sufficeth to say that Amulek was visited by the same angel that came to Alma Jr and the Sons of Mosiah.


Right off the bat you may dismiss this because angels were involved and who wouldn’t respond to an angel? Right? But think about this for a minute. We have the words of these angels. They have been recorded for our benefit. We have the witnesses who saw and heard these angels and they too, wrote the words they were taught and that they taught others. All we have to do is believe them just like these A-Listers did. Alma Sr. didn’t see an angel. He heard the words of God delivered by Abinadi. The critical factor is believing the words, not who delivered them. See Alma Believes the Words of Abinadi.


This is a good place to start because this A-list, and the thousands who repented because of the words they taught, begins with Alma believing the words of Abinadi. Read before going further. 

One point I would like to emphasize is that when Alma Sr. ordained others to teach the people "he commanded them that they should teach nothing save it were the things which he had taught" (Mosiah 18:19 emphasis added). And he specifically commanded them "they should teach nothing save it were repentance and faith on the Lord, who had redeemed his people" (Mosiah 18:20 emphasis added). And later when churches were organized and established in the land of Zarahemla, these churches met together so that they could "hear the word of "God." And there "was nothing preached in all the churches except it were repentance and faith in God" (Mosiah 25:20;22 emphasis added).


The words these A-Listers were taught and eventually believed, became their words, words of God, and because each had the Spirit of Revelation and the Spirit of Prophecy, they knew for themselves of the truths that they taught. They therefore taught with power and authority. When God’s words become our words because they have been revealed to us, then, and only then, will we become witnesses with first-hand knowledge and can testify that we know.


Let’s examine what these A-Listers had in common.


  1. They were all sinners;

  2. They repented and continued to have faith unto repentance;

  3. They were redeemed;

  4. They were born again;

  5. They searched and were armed with the word of God;

  6. They believed the words of God;

  7. They fasted and prayed for the Spirit of Revelation and the Spirit of Prophecy;

  8. They tasted of the love of God and His mercy;

  9. They wanted all to taste as they did taste--to repent and obtain His mercy;

  10. They spent their lives teaching what they had experienced and were experiencing.


In other words they said nothing but repentance that they might “bring souls unto repentance (why?), that the great plan of mercy may have claim upon them” (Alma 42:31).


When I left for my mission in 1962, we still had printed programs with our pictures and a scripture we had chosen on the front of the program. I chose the following scripture:


“I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my glory” (Alma 29:9 emphasis added). These words spoken by Alma impressed upon me a desire to go on my mission and gave me a purpose. While I did not really understand what it meant to repent, I sensed something in this purpose that has been a guide for me throughout my life and has been the reason for this blog and the many years of teaching His gospel of repentance to as many as will listen. But, like Amulek, I was not yet ready to hear because my heart was set upon the things of the world, and I had not yet began the process of repenting.


Let me share some of the things said and/or written about these A-Listers, which, hopefully will give you a clear picture of why they spent their lives teaching repentance.


Alma said after His experience, that his “limbs did receive their strength again, and I stood upon my feet and did manifest unto the people that I had been born of God. Yes, and from that time even until now, I have labored without ceasing, that I might bring souls unto repentance; that I might bring them to taste of the exceeding joy of which I did taste; that they might also be born of God, and be filled with the Holy Ghost” (Alma 36:23-24 emphasis added).


And because of his labors, “many have been born of God, and tasted as I have tasted, and have seen eye to eye as I have seen; therefore they do know of these things of which I have spoken, as I do know; and the knowledge which I have is of God” (Alma 36:26 emphasis added).


Amulek spoke from experience when he said: “And thus mercy can satisfy the demands of justice, and encircles them in the arms of safety, while he that exerciseth no faith unto repentance is exposed to the whole law of the demands of justice; therefore only unto him that has faith unto repentance is brought about the great and eternal plan of redemption. Therefore may God grant unto you…that you may begin to exercise your faith unto repentance, that ye begin to call upon his holy name, that he would have mercy upon you; yea, cry unto him for mercy; for he is mighty to save” (Alma 34:16-18 emphasis added).


Amulek’s story is unique in that there is not much said about his own experiences in hearing and believing the word of God, but there is no question that he did hear and believe as evidence from his teaching the word of God. He was told by the angel to go back to Ammonihah and preach again unto the people of the city; “Yea, say unto them, except they repent the Lord God will destroy them” (Alma 8:16 emphasis added). Amulek says of his own experience, “Behold, I am also a man of no small reputation among all those who know me; yea, and behold, I have many kindreds and friends and I have also acquired much riches by the hand of my industry. Nevertheless, after all this (or because of it), I have never known much of the ways of the Lord, and his mysteries and marvelous power. I said I never had known much of these things; but behold, I mistake, for I have seen much of his mysteries and his marvelous power…. Nevertheless, I did harden my heart, for I was called many times and l would not hear; therefore I knew concerning these things, yet I would not know; therefore I went on rebelling against God in the wickedness of my heart” (Alma 10:5-6 emphasis added).


The angel visited Amulek and told him of Alma and that Alma would also teach him the word of God, and he, Amulek, would know of their surety. He said of the words Alma spake unto him and his family: “he hath blessed mine house, he hath blessed me, and my women, and my children, and my father and my kinsfolk; yea, even all my kindred hath he blessed, and the blessing of the Lord hath rested upon us according to the words which he spake” (Alma 10:11 emphasis added).


I like Amulek’s story not because of the fact that an angel visited him, but because he admitted that because of his possessions and his influence, and his family, he had hardened his heart against the word of God. This is where many of us may be. We are aware, but will not hear. See Obstacles to Receiving the Word of God.


Ammon and Aaron and their brothers “had waxed strong in the knowledge of the truth; for they were men of a sound understanding and they had searched the scripture diligently, that they might know the word of God. But this is not all; they had given themselves to much prayer, and fasting; therefore they had the spirit of prophecy and the spirit of revelation, and when they taught, they taught with power and authority of God” (Alma 17:3 emphasis added). But before this, together with Alma, the Sons of Mosiah were described as “the very vilest of sinners” (Mosiah 28:4).


After they were born again, and after suffering “much anguish of soul because of their iniquities, suffering much and fearing that they should be cast off forever” (Mosiah 28:4), they were “desirous that salvation should be declared to every creature, for they could not bear that any human soul should perish; yea, even the very thoughts that any soul should endure endless torment did cause them to quake and tremble” (Mosiah 28:3 emphasis added).


Concerning the Sons of Mosiah, "they had been teaching the word of God for the space of fourteen years among the Lamanites, having had much success in bringing many to the knowledge of the truth; yea, by the power of their words many were brought before the alter of God, to call on his name and confess their sins before Him" (Alma 17:4 emphasis added).


And so each of the A-Listers spent the rest of their lives saying nothing but repentance, and anyone who so desires, is called to do the same. But first they must repent and experience the judgment and mercy of God, and be filled with the love of Christ for all. How we miss the mark in our religious activities! What is the work we should be doing? Not what we are accustomed to. Not the busy work of attending our meetings and fulfilling the traditional duties of being a ‘faithful’ member of the church. See The Cart Before the Horse for a more detailed explanation.


Let me close this post with these words from Alma, because they describe much of what I feel, have personal knowledge of, and experience everyday, as I have very limited influence on others, even my own family.


“O that i were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people! Yea, I would declare unto every soul, as with the voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption, that they should repent and come unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth.


But behold, I am a man, and do sin in my wish; for I ought to be content with the things which the Lord hath allotted unto me. I ought not to harrow up in my desires the firm decree of a just God, for I know that he granted unto men according their desire, whether it be unto death or unto life; yea, I know that allotteth unto men, yea, decreeth unto them decrees which are unalterable, according their wills, whether they be unto salvation or unto destruction.


Yea, and I know that good and evil have come before all men; he that knoweth not good from evil is blameless; but he that knoweth good and evil, to him it is given according to his desires whether he desireth good or evil, life or death, joy or remorse of conscience. Now, seeing that I know of these things, why should I desire more than to perform the work to which I have been called?


Why should I desire that I were an angel, that I could speak unto the ends of the earth?


For behold, the Lord doth grant unto all nations, of their own nation and tongue, to teach his word, yea, and in wisdom, all that he seeth fit that they should have; therefore we see that the Lord doth counsel in wisdom, according to that which is just and true” (Alma 29:2-8 emphasis added).


After having spent the most of my lifetime obtaining the word of God, this scripture now resonates within me. In 1962 when I selected this scripture for my missionary program, little did I know, but now I do:


“I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my glory” (Alma 29:9 emphasis added).


Next: Repentance: Grace (and no, not after all we can do)




1 comment:

  1. I've begun reading this post several times, but each time I get pulled away before I can comment; which worked in my favor, since now I've read this two or three times, and each time I've come away with different insights.

    An idea I got from this post, where you talk about searching for the word "repentance" in General Conference, was to do the same, but the with the word "mercy." I combed through recent General Conference talks searching for the word "mercy" and found the word "mercy" in many, many talks. Which confused me, because even though we're using the word, why do I have trouble hearing "the voice of mercy" in many of the messages?

    The same question applies to "repentance." We hear a lot about repentance at Church; we use the word often; we recite the 4th Article of Faith about it being a principle of the gospel. So why does it feel like the subtext of our messages and/or culture are drowning out the "spirit" of repentance?

    I had an epiphany when I thought of the title of this Post in a new way; that while we teach repentance, it is usually co-joined with something else; Repentance = Repent + Plus. Perhaps one way to look at "say nothing but repentance" is to teach repentance without all the strings attached, which often makes it difficult for others to "repent."

    I know that the book, The Miracle of Forgiveness, has gotten a lot of bad press lately and that Deseret Book doesn't carry it anymore; I wonder if it is because the book tries to teach Repent + Plus. All the extra stuff sort of buries the "good news" of Christ's gospel (and may be one way we "shut the door of heaven" on others).

    Now, your A-Listers (I like that). The most impactful point you made for me was the fact that we all want to have personal visits from angels, when in fact, we HAVE the words of these angels, right now, just like Alma Sr. and the people of King Benjamin. It is the words, not the lips, that contain the breath of life. That is really a beautiful notion which I've taken to heart.

    Finally, what a great mission picture! I can't believe your mission scripture was Alma 29:9, when you've gone on -- 60 years later -- to become a mortal angel declaring the word of God with the other A-Listers. Thank you Clark.

    ReplyDelete