Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Repentance: Fruit Meet For Repentance

These posts on Repentance are intended to be read in order beginning with 


Repentance: Introduction


At the bottom of each post is a link to the next one. 

I earlier mentioned some of the fruits meet for repentance. Meet for repentance means fit for repentance, fruits that come as a result of repentance, or fruits, if we recognize them, that someone has and is repenting. These fruits are not the fruits ascribed to Sister Bonnie Franklin in the previous post. Fruits meet for repentance validates the repentance, and they come from God. These fruits manifest themselves in us, but we cannot boast or take any credit for them. We can, however, rejoice in them. We can profit in fruits that are bestowed upon us, and we can receive them, and rejoice “in him who is the giver of the gift” (D&C 84:33). 

But first you must understand and experience someone new--YOU!




We cannot separate baptism from repentance. Often we see that baptism follows repentance, but for children baptized at the age of eight, there is no need for repentance. These are baptized unto repentance, or in other words, having been born of the water, they may at some point choose to be baptized by the spirit, which requires repentance or turning to Christ. How we miss this important link when our children are baptized. We treat their baptism as merely a ticket to the dance. Even though confirmed and given an invitation to receive the Holy Ghost, most are not yet born of the Spirit. They are born of the water, but are stillborn, and are not born of the Spirit until they are filled with the Holy Ghost. For most in the Church this has not yet happened. Generally their understanding of the Holy Ghost is limited to what they call inspiration and feelings. They still prefer the primary version of the Holy Ghost: a third member of the Godhead, a constant companion. And yet they have very little experience with the Holy Ghost.


Only those who have experienced the effect of the Holy Ghost can be a witness of His existence, and specifically how He operates in his/her life, and the methods He uses to do so. Sure we can read about the Holy Ghost, but until we have experienced His effect on us, we are at a loss to describe it to others, and even then, those who have not had the same experiences may cling to their traditional ideas of Him and therefore miss the mark.


This first became significant to me following an experience I had in 1962 in Grand Island, Nebraska, where I was a new missionary. Following a conversation with a Reorganized LDS Church missionary, I was left totally confused and doubting the truth of what I had been taught. I knew nothing of the Reorganized Church, but was shaken by their belief in the Book of Mormon, and their characterization of the Utah church as being the apostate church. The only thing I knew to do was to get on my knees and ask the Lord about it. The next morning, I was prompted to pick up my copy of The Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, and turned to this:


“The First Comforter or Holy Ghost has no other effect than pure intelligence. It is more powerful in expanding the mind, enlightening the understanding, and storing the intellect with present knowledge, of a man who is of the literal seed of Abraham, than one that is a Gentile, thought may not have half as much visible effect upon the body; for as the Holy Ghost falls upon one of the literal seed of Abraham, it is calm and serene; and his whole soul and body are only exercised by the pure spirit of intelligence” (Joseph Smith, Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 149 emphasis added).


Immediately I felt that calm and serene feeling and while my whole soul and body were not exercised by the pure spirit of intelligence, I did experience the pure spirit of intelligence. Through the Holy Ghost my mind has been expanded, my understanding enlightened, and my intellect stored with present knowledge. 


I have experienced the pure spirit of intelligence many times, but it was not until I had repented and turned to Christ, that my whole soul and body were exercised by the pure spirit of intelligence. In other words, I was filled with the Holy Ghost and was born of the Spirit. It is the light communicated from heaven to the intellect, our intelligence as in “man was also in the beginning with God. Intelligence, or the light and truth, was not created or made, neither indeed can be” (D&C 93:29 emphasis added). Both God and man, and every other living being existed only as intelligences, and had so existed from the eternities, never having been created. No description is given in the scriptures of the nature of the entity that is an intelligence. There is revelation that tells us that the various innumerable intelligences varied in degree of that which was their essence: intelligence, God being the most intelligent of them all (Abraham 3:19).


The fruit of our repentance is that our intelligence, now clothed in both a spiritual and physical body, will increase in light and truth which is the pure spirit of intelligence.


As Joseph Smith said: “We consider that God has created man with a mind capable of instruction, and a faculty which may be enlarged in proportion to the heed and diligence given to the light communicated from heaven to the intellect; and that the nearer any approaches perfection, the clearer are his views, and the greater his enjoyments, till he has overcome the evils of his life and lost every desire for sin; and like the ancients, arrives at that point of faith where he is wrapped in the power and glory of his Maker and is caught up to dwell with Him” (Joseph Smith, Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, P 51. emphasis added)


This is the best description of grace for grace, until we receive of the fulness. But it requires that we give heed and diligence to the light communicated from heaven. Remember repentance is also associated with turning to Christ and giving heed to His words. And why the word of God? Because it is light and truth! 


Let’s backtrack here for more background leading up to being born of the Spirit. Paul said that when we are baptized “our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. For he that is dead is freed from sin” (Romans 6:6-7 emphasis added).


We are, therefore, no longer captive to sin, but His grace abounds in us. If we remain under the law, because by the law, we sin, His grace does not abound in us and we are captive to our sins, are not saved from our sins. “Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin. But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested…even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe….” (Romans 3:20-23 emphasis added).


“Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law” (Romans 3:28). “For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace” (Romans 6:14).


Having been baptized unto repentance, or having been born of the water, the fruits of being born of the water are manifested through repentance. “...even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God” (Romans 7:4 emphasis added).


Paul said: “ Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord” (Romans 6:11). And “Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness” (Romans 6:18). The fruits of being made free from sin, is manifested in becoming the servants of righteousness.


But there remains an obstacle: our flesh. Paul reminds us that in us or in our flesh, “dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. …But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin…O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin ” (Romans 7:18-25).


And Voila! The need to be born of the Spirit. “That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace” (Romans 8:4-6 emphasis added).


Then add this: “And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life…” (Romans 8:10 emphasis added).


When Alma wrote that “...all mankind, yea, men and women, all nations, kindreds, tongues and people, must be born again; yea, born of God, changed from their carnal and fallen state, to a state of righteousness, being redeemed of God, becoming his sons and daughters. And thus they become new creatures…” (Mosiah 27:25-26 emphasis added), he is echoing what Paul taught us about being born of the Spirit.


Being born of the Spirit and being filled with the Holy Ghost, is the blessing of repentance, the fruits of our repentance. As Alma also said: “Nevertheless, after wading through much tribulation, repenting nigh unto death, the Lord in mercy hath seen fit to snatch me out of an everlasting burning, and I am born of God” (Alma 27:28 emphasis added).


I can only share with you the fruits of my own repentance as I experienced them. As I mentioned earlier, being filled with the Holy Ghost caused my whole soul and body to be exercised by the pure spirit of intelligence, but I also experienced that the light communicated to my intelligence could increase or decrease according to the heed and diligence I gave to His words, to His voice in His words. And I could discern the difference. Therein lies the reason why Nephi and every other prophet writer in the Book of Mormon have told us to feast upon the words of Christ, give heed to the word of God, because as we feast and give heed, light and truth is communicated to our intelligence. And the more of His words that I received, the more light and truth that is communicated to my intelligence. 


These are just a few of the fruits of repentance that I experience and have experienced..


I became acutely aware of the word of God and how it permeates scripture. Obviously I had read and heard the phrase many times, but for the first time I realized that they were actually words from God.


I experience the light and spirit that is associated with His words, and continue to do so. I could see and make connections I had never before seen. I could hear His voice in His words. I became aware that His words are the standard by which everything is judged, even us. This gave me a compass that I knew I could rely on to get back to His presence.


I received the Spirit of Revelation and it was revealed to me that the revelations revealed to men are true. I could now witness that I knew because He had revealed the truth to me personally.


I also could see the past, present and future clearer than ever before, especially the present as it relates to the past and to the future. I have the Spirit of Prophecy and can see clearly the endtime events prior to the Lord’s coming again. And with the Spirit of Prophecy, I have the testimony of Jesus Christ and His atonement and mercy in my own life. I am aware of where I am and where I am going, and the clearer are my views..


My faculties have been enlarged according to the heed and diligence I give to His words. My understanding has been enlightened and I continue to receive truth and light communicated to my intelligence. I experience the Holy Ghost, not through my heart, but through my intelligence, which, because He is light and truth, I can feel that light and truth and discern it.


I can much better see the darkness within and around me, but I also know the Light to follow in the darkness.


I can speak with the tongue of Angels and understand others who speak with the tongue of Angels.


I hunger and thirst for His words and desire more. He leads me to those who can teach me more. I desire to be a follower of righteousness and even a greater follower of righteousness. I want to possess great knowledge and even greater knowledge.


I can discern the scriptural pattern in all things. I recognize and experience that my flesh is still weak and subject to Satan and his followers. I know now, however, that my spirit desires to follow Him and hear His voice. In the flesh I am not strong enough, but in the spirit and with His Spirit, I am losing my desire for sin. I no longer desire riches or even a more comfortable life. I love wisdom. I can see that I am living in Babylon, but know that Babylon and everything in it will be destroyed. It is not capable of reformation, and I want to be delivered from it. I desire Zion and want to help build it up.


I desire others to taste as I have tasted and am saddened that people, even members of my own family, are entrenched in the world. I look forward to when I am wrapped in the power and glory of my Maker and am caught up to dwell with Him.


Let me conclude with this from Paul, as his words, God’s words, cause me to rejoice and give praise to my God and King, and prove a summary of the fruits of repentance.


“There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. Therefore, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons (and daughters) of God. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God” (Romans 8:1-14; 16 emphasis added)


Next: Repentance: All Manner of Fruit and None of It is Good


1 comment:

  1. Clark, this post felt special and autobiographical, not just of your own journey, but the journey of all the sanctified (Alma 13:11-12).

    Your words made me introspective, thinking of the influence of the Holy Ghost upon my own life. I love reading about your spiritual walk with God because it provides traction on the slippery Straight and Narrow, to see someone firm and steadfast:

    "I can much better see the darkness within and around me, but I also know the Light to follow in the darkness. I can speak with the tongue of Angels and understand others who speak with the tongue of Angels. I hunger and thirst for His words and desire more."

    That was so beautiful. There's something 'longful' (not a word, I know) in them: a reaching, a striving, for a sphere filled with Christ's grace and holiness. I loved it; it is an example that inspires me to press forward, as Nephi told us. Thank you! Tim

    ReplyDelete