Sunday, January 15, 2023

To My Adult Grandchildren

To My Adult Grandchildren January 15, 2023


What would be the greatest good that I could do for you? What could I say to you, my grandchildren, that would cause you to want to discover this greatest good? And why would you even want to hear it from me? It is always a challenge to separate the message from the messenger, especially if the messenger is just your grandpa.




There may be some of you who believe that all you have to do is follow the prophet. Some may know that we must look to God and live, and not follow and put our trust in a man, no matter his ecclesiastical title. Some of you may be struggling with the organized Church. And there may be some of you who are wondering if you really believe in God. And others of you (my French grandchildren) have not been taught at all because your parents and grandparents were not taught and did not know the truth.


This message is for all of you because no matter where you are in your journey, the remedy is the same.


Fortunately we have the Lord's definition of truth. Yes, He has told us what truth is.


The word of the Lord is truth, and

Whatsoever is truth is light (we can discern it), and

Whatsoever is light is spirit,

Even the spirit of Jesus Christ.


So His words are Him!


There you have it. A standard by which we can judge and compare everything! Can you appreciate how important this is? Can you appreciate that you do not have to believe anything that is not true, no matter who says it? Can you imagine that you should believe His words, no matter who says them? It is not me saying this. No one but God could say this. You are not bound by creeds, talks from the pulpit, handbooks, lesson materials, or even what your parents taught you. Can you imagine that one word from the mouth of the Savior, from the bosom of eternity, strikes everything else as insignificant, and blots it forever from the mind? 


This is the reason He has caused His words to be recorded, and we should listen to those who speak and teach His words, no matter who says them, even if it is just your grandfather. This said, there is only one focus and that is, to feast upon His words so that you will have His sword of truth and can cut through all the crap. I cannot emphasize enough how important this is as we are nearing the time when Christ will come again. There is so much to happen between now and then, and it is all spelled out for us in His words. You do not want to be caught unprepared.


Sadly I must confess that I taught my children what I had been taught. You see, the traditional teachings are not light and truth, and I failed to teach them light and truth as the Lord commanded me. Only His words are light and truth. But I could not teach what I did not know and experience. I taught what I had been taught: to be good, to be active in the church, do do my duty, or, in other words, to be religious.


It was only after I had feasted upon and obtained His words, and then heard His voice in His words that I could teach them to others, but with mixed results. This was my motivation for writing a blog, so that perhaps I could remedy the traditional teachings with light and truth. 


I worry that you, like I was, may have been taught only the traditional gospel, rather than the gospel of Jesus Christ. Some of you may be struggling with the organized church, with religion in general, perhaps going through a destruction of what you have been taught. There is a lot to struggle with. Others of you may believe that all you have to do is "live the Gospel." Some may think that Conference talks are the word of God, but to assume so, without knowing the word of God is to be ignorant of God's words. And some of you may be questioning the Book of Mormon. There is so much noise out there that it is impossible not to hear it, read about it or see it. Much of it is valid, but it is usually delivered without any remedy, and it is the remedy that I want to emphasize.


There is only one remedy--His words, and believe me when I tell you, you will not always find His words in conference talks. That should not be your source. You must first find His words as they are recorded in the Old and New Testament, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine & Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price. Only then will you be equipped to know the difference between the message and the messenger. 


I know the difference. Yes, your grandpa knows the difference because I have spent the last 30 years feasting upon His words. I still feast upon them. There is so much there--like truth, doctrine, prophecies, warnings, types, hearing God’s voice in His words, beauty, wonder, hope and most important of all--Jesus Christ and His great plan of redemption! 


But His words can be and are transfigured. In fact, Moroni and Nephi and others prophesied that we would transfigure His words, that we would teach for doctrine the commandments of men mingled with scripture and that many would be led astray because of this.


If you were to ask what is the greatest good, I would direct you to the Lord’s answer. Joseph's ministry was to proclaim His gospel, and in doing so “will do the greatest good,” and will “promote the glory of him who is your Lord” (D&C 81:3-4). Don’t just assume that ‘His gospel’ is what you may think it is. I can guarantee you it probably is not.


Nothing that I have written in www.fingerofgod.blogspot.com is my opinion or my interpretation of His words. They are His words and hopefully some of you will come to know that this is true because you too have feasted upon His words. His words, however, have become my words because He has given them to me. Those of you who are feasting upon His words will recognize them, but those of you who are not, will not recognize them because you have no frame of reference except the pulpit narrative or the opinions of others. Believe me, the scripture narrative is different than the pulpit narrative. Or better yet believe Him when He says:


“And I, Jesus Christ, your Lord and your God, have spoken it, These words are not of men nor of man, but of me; wherefore, you shall testify they are of me and not of man; for it is my voice which speaketh them unto you; for they are given by my Spirit unto you, and by my power you can read them one to another; and save it were by my power you could not have them. Wherefore, you can testify that you have heard my voice, and know my words” (D&C 18:33-36). 


And I can so testify!


So if you are inclined for whatever reason--curious, to prove me wrong, really want to know, really need to know, or any other reason--then search what I have written. Compare everything with His words. Look up the references and you will then know for yourself. You too will have the spirit of revelation and the spirit of prophecy, and you will speak with the tongue of angels.


I have linked a few posts here for easy reference, hoping that there my be a few that may interest you, and help you focus on His words and not mine. It is His voice that I want you to hear in His words. I send this because I love you and because I worry about you. 


Your grandpa.


Teaching Young Children to Understand the Doctrine of Repentance


Unaware


Look To God and Live


Alma's Teachings on Mercy and Justice


I Know Your Doing


The Closing of The Mormon Mind


An Awful State of Blindness


He Flattereth Away


What if God Actually Spoke?


The Pharisee and the Publican 


We Are the Wild Branches


The Stranglehold of Babylon 


Notes on Samuel the Lamanite 


I Know in Whom I Have Trusted


Saved From Our Sins


The Cart Before the Horse


Ten Reasons Why


Deny Not the Gifts of God


1 comment:

  1. To Clark’s Grandchildren:

    Hello! My name is Tim Merrill and I grew up in the 1980s with TMNT and NES; if you know what those things are, we’re kindred spirits.
    I’ve known your grandfather for about 10 years; and while I probably don’t know him as well as you do, I know he always speaks the truth. It sort of shocked me at first, really; I remember listening to him speak in Sacrament Meeting as a High Councilor and thinking, “Can he say that?” I’ve described your grandfather this way: “I love the way Clark teaches because he doesn't sugarcoat things. If I am like Honey Nut Cheerios, Clark is a bowl of Kellogg's All-Bran; and the older I get, the more my spirit craves the fiber found in his pure testimony of Christ.”

    I’ve come to treasure Clark’s words as a pearl of great price. In my faith journey I have spent a lot of time pondering and questioning things about the gospel and the Church. That is why I love it when your grandfather says, “You do not have to believe anything that is not true.”

    In fact, last year I shared some of the fruits his friendship and ministry have produced in my life on my website, Owl of the Desert, in a 6-part blog series. I hope you’ll take a moment to read about our adventures together and how they changed my life:

    Part 1: https://www.owlofthedesert.com/blog/in-the-mouth-of-two-or-three-witnesses-part-1

    Part 2: https://www.owlofthedesert.com/blog/in-the-mouths-of-two-or-three-witnesses-part-2

    Part 3: https://www.owlofthedesert.com/blog/in-the-mouths-of-two-or-three-witnesses-part-3

    Part 4: https://www.owlofthedesert.com/blog/in-the-mouths-of-two-or-three-witnesses-part-4

    Part 5: https://www.owlofthedesert.com/blog/in-the-mouths-of-two-or-three-witnesses-part-5

    Part 6: https://www.owlofthedesert.com/blog/in-the-mouths-of-two-or-three-witnesses-part-6-conclusion

    I am still learning; but I am glad to share this messy experience we call life with your grandfather, and now with you! May the Lord bless you, my new friends.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete